2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

'04 L200 2.5TD slow to start and down on power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaveM-Sport

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 23:32    Post subject: '04 L200 2.5TD slow to start and down on power Reply with quote

Trying to help a friend with his L200 (4D56 engine) at the moment and kinda stumped.
First thing that happened was he was overtaking a truck last week and it suddenly lost power. He got home with it but it was very sluggish.

It got abit hot he said and checked the coolant and there was oil in it so he got that sorted but then it was still slow and the oil light was on (mechanic that fixed the oil in coolant issue left him drive away with an oil light on once you start the engine  Shocked )

Asked me to have a look at it then and I was preparing for the worst such as a cracked head and bottom end in bits but once I turned the key to ignition, there was no oil light on and once started it comes on so knew it had to be a broken pressure switch so got a new one and that sorted that and it has good oil pressure now.

It's extremely slow to start however like bad glow plugs or dirty fuel filter, runs a little rough and it will struggle to climb the revs when driving unless on the flat or down a hill. any hill and your down to 2nd gear and still only managing about 20mph.
loosened injector pipes and it doesn't make much difference at all with one pipe off and will only have a big difference if you loosen two.

Put a new fuel filter, air filter etc on it and makes no improvement. Smoke is pretty misty as if not burning fuel properly.

Anybody have any ideas? My diagnostics won't talk to it so just trying to figure it out until I can find somebody with something that will read it that I can borrow.

Thinking it's the injector pump that might be acting up?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 23:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

jimmybond

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id check timing belt.
wouldnt be surprised if balance belt broke and in cambelt.
DaveM-Sport

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, balance belt was the other thing I was thinking. I took the top timing cover off last night and had a quick look at the belt and main belt is fine but I'll check the balance belt and make sure it's all timed right later today and report back Smile
DaveM-Sport

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 0:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a better look today and yep, no belt on the top balance belt pulley or the tensioner pulley so new belts and tensioners ordered and I'll strip the rest of the timing case down tomorrow and fit the new belts Smile
jimmybond

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes people dont fit these belts.
But deffo gotta look into this as need to be sure no parts of belt gone into bottom cog.
if it has no belt could be the bushing for the counter balance shafts worn.
im seeing this often, it always ends up in being another block.
not what you wanna hear.
DaveM-Sport

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got everything off anyway. Had to make up a tool to hold the crank pulley to loosen the crankshaft bolt Smile

Cleaned out what was left of the balance belt and timed everything up and checked for any play in the balance shaft pulleys and seemed fine.
New pair of belts and tensioners on then and it's running perfect again now Smile

Still a slow *beep* of a thing though but at least its running right again Smile
Will have to tell him to get a chip for it, I don't know how he suffers towing all the time with it lol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: