eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

L200 4D56T GENIUS REQUIED (apply within)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BLACKBART

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:38    Post subject: L200 4D56T GENIUS REQUIED (apply within) Reply with quote

I have recently aquired an l200 with the 4d56 motor in and it is doing naughty things.

It really hates starting despite new heater plugs,fuel filter/ conditioner. I have even done a compression test which is a bit baffling as it came out

No 1 - 31.4

No 2 - 21.6

no 3 - 21.6

No 4 - 31.2

Anyone shed some light on what those results are pointing towards ? ?

Can a head gasket be gone without showing any signs ?

Any and all help would be much appreciated thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:38    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

hutchy

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

well those readings are out but that could be down to valve adjustement as the valves can be manually adjusted so i would start there,and do another test..the valves can be set on a cold setting which if i can remember is 0.15 thou but im sure someone will correct me on that measurement....the other thing is ive just had the tank out of one of these at the weekend as it was struggling to start and intermittent loss off power..this was down to the tank having *beep* in it and blocking the stack pipe filter..once i cleaned it out along with cleaning the stack filter and put a new filter in the engine bay it,s running perfect now..not saying that is your problem but, it,s worth checking Wink
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHEERS Hutchy

This one also has a lack of power once it can see a hill coming !  with the EML at the same time as the power loss. Then leave it for a bit and the EML is gone ?

The garage are puzzled and could only come up with " take the head off and have a look "

I will have a look at the valves and find out the exact settings.

cheers
albideli

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

try blanking the EGR valve, could be sticking open or just plain knackered, quite common on these and a cheap mod. It'll put the eml on under load, poor tickover and flat spots plus poor starting if its dumping spent gases in on startup.
hutchy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would do valves first make sure they are all set right then do another compression test if any valve adjustment is done if that is all ok,but still has lack of power then drop the fuel tank and make sure the filter on the bottom of the stack pipe is clean and clear,and fit a new fuel filter on it in the engine bay Wink
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan to do (if it hasnt already ) the dreaded EGR but i am gonna check the valves first to see if that could explain the large gap in compression.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What model and year is it?
Post 2006 models suffer from the inlet manifold caking up, from the egr and blocking sensors etc.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Head gasket may have blown between cylinders 2 and 3 causing the low and equal compressions, I seen this before a few times, also I doubt valve clearances will make any difference to your compressions at starter motor speed.
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
What model and year is it?
Post 2006 models suffer from the inlet manifold caking up, from the egr and blocking sensors etc.

Its a 2003 and there does seem to be " a bit of oil about the place"

I made a start on it today ( inbetween rain) and the first thing i noticed was oil in intercooler pipe when i took it off, then it got worse as the top cover on timing belt came off i was greeted with a sight you dont want to see....a raggy END of belt peeking out which turned out to be the balance belt.

This is either going to be a labour of love or a get shot and move on....i havent decided yet.
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark3 wrote:
Head gasket may have blown between cylinders 2 and 3 causing the low and equal compressions, I seen this before a few times, also I doubt valve clearances will make any difference to your compressions at starter motor speed.

That thought entered my mind and now that i have found the balance belt literally in bits i think i will get the head off and have a deek inside
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

it,s common for the balance belts to go which is why i never replace them,just the cambelt,before removing the head,,remove the timing covers and see if any of the balance belt is jammed in the timing gear,if not see if the timing lines up take the rocker cover off and have a look in there..these engines are designed so the rockers fail if there has been any piston valve contact,,,if there is any damaged rockers or cam caps then there is no need to remove the head as these are sacrificial and can be easily replaced Wink
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cam and pump pulleys line up but havent got the bottom cover off yet. The belt seems very slack tension wise though. I think it is supposed to be about 5 mm travel if you poke it and this one is more like 15 - 20 mm and i am pretty sure i could just slide it off without touching tensioners ! !

I dont think i will bother with the balance belt replacement as my pajero did not have one when i got it and it ran fine for the 3 year i had it.
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 14:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

the belt is probably stretched or tension is out but i wold replace the belt and tensioner for piece of mind Wink
BLACKBART

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK top timing mark spot on.....pump timing mark spot on..... bottom timing mark (going off the cover) has a mark on the plastic which says ATDC then a few dots and the number 10 where exactly should my pulley mark line up on ? the line at TDC or the 10 or somewhere inbetween ??
hutchy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn,t rely on the plastic cover timing mark,your better off removing the cover and use the mark on the crank sprocket and on the lower engine case...ive done a few of these for people and found the pulleys may have been changed or the outer shell of the pulley has been 1 or 2 teeth off causing running issues along with other problems Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> L200 technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: