Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Can anyone suggest a way around this?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKIRKP

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 17:21    Post subject: Can anyone suggest a way around this? Reply with quote

I'm the proud owner of a SWB 2.5TD Pajero 92. I'm insured with Liverpool Victoria with 6 years NCD for about £280. Absolute bargain, cheaper than the insurance I paid on my Fiesta three years ago!

Last week I bought a Ford Transit van so I can do car boot sales and shift garden rubbish, etc (so my Pajero won't get filthy). That's when the fun started. I rang Liverpool Victoria who actually refused to insure the van on the notion as to why I would want a commercial vehicle for personal use!

I tried a few other companies and was either refused, quoted over a grand for third party only or generally was brushed off.

The van has had windows put in it, was once a university minibus, but all the seats have been taken out, so I thought I'd try Adrian Flux and try to get it insured as a modified vehicle. They gave a quote of around £450 for third party (as I cannot have NCD on more than one vehicle) and I let slip that I work in a pub in the evening on top of my office job, to which they then refused me any insurance whatsoever as I'd not told them this and they figured that as the van could possibly be in a car park of a pub then it may be used in conjunction with the pub - even though swore it would be for personal use only. They then hung up on me.

After that I had a series of dull and depressing calls with insurers, where I tried the business use route, to find that it was equally as expensive.

So, I'm driving the van at the moment on my Pajero insurance, third party. The tax runs out on the van next month and in order to get a tax disc I'm going to need some sort of insurance for the van.

Any ideas cos I'm just about out of them!?

Angela
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 17:21    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Stuey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a crazy idea, but why not sell it and spend the money you would have spent on insurance on a tow-bar and a box trailer? They're decent tow cars Laughing
Steve H

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought, if you are the registered owner of the van, then you can't drive it on the pajero insurance as the third party option only covers you for driving another vehicle not owned by or subject to a HP agreement by you.

I agree with Stuey a decent trailer will set you back less than the transit (and all its associated running costs) and you will get back almost what you paid for it when the time comes to sell, unlike the transit.

Steve H
marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would phone adrian flux back then tell them to take a long walk of a short cliff there service sucks they suck and i certainly would never insure with them again and why ure at it put the phone down on them 8)
Colin.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2003 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a lwb transit minibus with no seats in it up till last june, i had it insured through norwich union (think it was called a MBI or MPI policy) as soc dom & plesure as i used it for a hobby which is large scale rc racing, it cost £450 tp f & theft with no discount as that was on the car. the bar****s dont like insuring them so be carfull what you tell them, tell them you put your off road motorbike in it Shocked to take it down the woods to get dirty. let me now if you want to know what the policy was called and i will try to find it.
good luck Wink
Colin
DAZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Try the N.F.U. (national farmers union) insurance, uptil last year I had a 1990 C25D Citroen van insured with them, which I used for towing my autograss car about with. The premium was only around £190-ish tpft.
They seem to be a lot more sensible about vans etc Question Question
farmerrock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem as you last year with a vw lt28 minibus with the seats taken out.What I did in the end was board the inside & covered the windows outside with sheet metal.I then wrote to DVLA & asked them to classify it as a van not mini bus as there were no longer any seats or windows.They sent ne a new logbook within a week showing it as a van.I am insured with tesco for £350 .It is a second vehicle to my paj so has no ncd on it.For some reason insurance companies hate mini buses even with no seats ,but ther are plenty that will insure vans.Hope this helps.
dave cunliffe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 10:09    Post subject: Insurers Reply with quote

Try Churchill

I have just taken out a second policy with them
They gave me 2 years NCD on the second policy (they said it was because i was a loyal customer)
I also have 65% on my first policy
Mo Khan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with that as Curchill gave me full NCB on my Shogun as a second vehicle because i had been a 'loyal' customer for a few years with my first car.
Also every year i get a few quotes before the renewal date and if i get a cheaper quote for comparable cover i get back to Churchill and they try and match the cover or get very close. the service has been good on the occasion i have needed them thats why i try to stick with them.

Mo
AKIRKP

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 10:57    Post subject: Thanks folks! Reply with quote

Wow, what a response! This is my first ever post so I didn't expect lots of interest in it. I'll spend the next couple of days whizzing around all the insurerers you suggested.

I don't really want a trailer, as I sometimes shift large things in the van (I helped someone move house with it recently - beds, wardrobes, etc) but I can see where you're coming from.

The log book on my van still just says panel van, so perhaps the original owner never told the DVLA that they'd converted it to a minibus. So will I burn in hell if I don't tell them it's a minibus with no seats?

Thanks
Angela
gaz8460

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 18:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell them u want it to transport disabled relative about and car is no good..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pajero / Shogun / Montero insurers / insurance All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: