QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Auto gearbox manual (sport) function, gear indicator lamp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tui

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 17:22    Post subject: Auto gearbox manual (sport) function, gear indicator lamp Reply with quote

Hi all.  Although I do not post a lot, I do frequently log in to find out valuable information and see whats going on from time to time.

I have a 2017 LWB Shogun Auto with a 3.2 diesel 4M41 engine and my question is this.

When in manual mode the gear position indicator, in the bottom right hand side of the rev counter, will display the current gear the vehicle is in however as you start to accelerate a small red arrow next to the odometer illuminates (to prompt you to change to the next highest gear) at which time the current gear indicator goes out unless you either (a) change up to the next highest gear or (b) back off the revs.

This happens in gears 1 to 4.  once in 5th it does not occur, presumably as there is no next highest gear. 
Does anyone know how to stop this from happening?

I had planned to insert some  pics but dont know how :roll
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 17:22    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rscho

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tui,

I have recently bought a 2016 Shogun Auto, and have wondered exactly the same! It seems a bit bizare

I'd actually like the gear indicator to be on all the time, even in auto mode, but I guess that's not possible

Cheers
Richard
Tui

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rscho . Me too.  Thanks for replying. T
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of history.

When Mitsubishi developed the Super Select system it was the ultimate system which offered all things to all people and it had to compete with other prestige vehicles of the time which often came with manual and automatic gearboxes so Mitsubishi offered both on one gearbox so you got automatic and manual. This meant Mitsubishi were so far advanced for their time and as people traditionally learned off road driving with a manual gearbox as an automatic would simply change up a gear and you would go faster, not something you wanted when travelling down a steep hill off road, that they offered many functions and many people said they were too complicated and confused many drivers.

With such a good Super Select system they wound back a little as other manufacturers were improving their automatics and catching up, Mitsubishi had load sensing centre differentials which they called "Torque Vectoring" as they split the torque to the axle with the most grip and they followed the market and when SUV's came to the market they were fully automated 4WD systems which were foolproof and designed for idiots and would automatically deploy 4 wheel drive as needed and use other systems such as traction control and ABS to fully control the system and Mitsubishi followed and took away the warning lights for many systems and operated on the same philosophy as others "need to know" and in many cases people didn't need to know or want to know.

As vehicle control electronics advanced and the knowledge levels fell Mitsubishi removed many of their systems in aotomatic mode as drivrs didn't need to know as the systems did it for you; however, if you switched from automatic to manual you may need some of this information so you got it, if you went to manual mode it was accepted that you would be driving in adverse conditions and the extra information meant you were more skilled as a driver and would use this information and a hill climb woild be an example.
You wish to climb a steep hill so you switch to manual mode and select second gear and you get the indicator showing you have selected second gear and it has engaged, first and second gears remain in that gear and will not change up or down unless you select it, 3rd 4th and 5th will automatically change down a gear if your engine revs drop below 1400 RPM; so now you know you have second gear and it will not change up or down and as you climb the hill you use your tachometer (rev counter) to limit your engine speed and you play safe and stick to 3500 RPM so you are in the power band without over revving your engine.

Hope this helps.
Tui

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Thanks assassin. I did not know that history and it was interesting to read. Thank you. And thanks for taking the time to look at my post. Tui  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: