Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Slow Starting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blackchallis

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 15:14    Post subject: Slow Starting Reply with quote

Hi,

Looking for some advice from people that have a lot more brains than me, which is most probably everyone else on this forum.

I have a 3.2 did 2005 plate, manual . however as the title states, its slow to start, turns over and takes around 4 seconds to start
however it always starts and when running I have zero issues. it runs great. fuel eco is great, I get around 30mpg and it pulls like a train.

Things I have done within the last month.
Full Service, air, fuel, oil filter and changed all liquids.
New glow plugs, the old ones looked great
I had the injectors cleaned and everything else that would have been dirty. so the combustion parts of the truck are good.
Battery has been checked and was fully charged
better grade diesel.

However after all this the car starts exactly the same, as mentioned the car runs fine, doesnt cut out, doesnt overheat, its just starting slow

Any suggestions would be good.

Cheers
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 15:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

SteveW-DID

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHeck and clean battery terminals and engine earth wire.
If no change replace starter motor and battery
If still no change check compression and fuel pump.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the engine cranking slowly compared to the time it started well?

Or is it cranking as fast as previous, but taking longer to fire?
RogerStenning

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I replaced the battery that came with my used Shogun with a brand new Yuasa HSB335 (85 Ah / 830 Cranking Amps SLA) this morning. Wow, did that make a difference when starting. Practically no laboured wind-up to starting, turned the ignition switch and VROOM. Colour me happy Very Happy
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several potential issues here.

Battery is in poor condition and a drop test usually shows it as fine, even though it isn't.
Poor battery connections, and they do sometimes come loose, or they are corroded and need cleaning, battery terminal broken on one point on the pressed plate type.
Bad earth, usually the earth lead from the battery frays and this reduces its current carrying capacity on this side, or it is corroded where it mets the body and gives a poor circuit. Simple test: put a jump lead from the battery negative terminal to a clean point on the engine block and see if normal service is resumed.
Blackchallis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:16    Post subject: on going Reply with quote

Hi Gents,

I'll be replacing the battery next month, getting another battery tray and going dual battery setup before fitting my winch, So i'll doing the terminals and checking the earth wire and everything associated with this.
but before I do this i'll test it with 1 new battery to see if anything changes. If not I'll go for a new starter as well. fingers cross its something easy :p

Thanks for your replies guys
Blackchallis

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
Is the engine cranking slowly compared to the time it started well?

Or is it cranking as fast as previous, but taking longer to fire?

This is my first shogun, so its hard to tell what theyre meant to be like,  My volvo which is a diesel starts on the button. key turn and it starts. the shogun sounds like its cranking normally, however it just takes around 3-4 secs until it fires up
but as mentioned at the top of this post. when its started I have zero issues, everything else is fine, so i have no fuel injector or fuel pump symptons
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: